a way to see the world

The project, which has been presented to us by Professor Luis E. Carranza Phd., Roger Williams University, is an architectural investigation. This is an investigation into making people, rather, us think of our surroundings. An architecture which wakes us from our blase attitude to force us to realise we have been asleep. Only on the rare occasion do we recall how it is we came to be in the very room we now sit. This is an attempt to wake a campus from such a slumber.

This investigation begins with art in the form of a Juan Gris painting.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

a thought...

After watching the movie Inception I am left with the notion of tangability. what we percieve as sensory true may not be. I have the desire to look deeply into the tangable as well as the intangable as we move into designing a building. I suppose one might say I have my own agenda. These ideas are rough, but I would like to at least express them.

If Corbusier thought of right angles as organizing elements and curves as elements that would touch the human body, I feel I can use these ideas in my own quest. Right angles to me are tangable. These are what we use to understand our world. What, then, of curves? curves in a building are the intangable. these "touch" the sense of sight and invoke an emotion...

I feel I might be going to quickly. Rewind, about a year or so. I realize the spaces I have felt compelled to leave between buildings has been an attempt at touching what we call our souls. An example:

Space between buildings stirs an emotion.
The space here is harsh. Cold concrete seems to be abrasive. The space hear could be said to be bourdering on the intangable to the common person, as there is not much here to fix our known world on. However, there are two elements to soften the entire ensamble. The stream down the center leading off to the horizon makes the observer say, "I'm o.k. with this." The need to have a visual escape is ever important here. Also there is a need to be able to touch an element which is not man-made, aka water in this case. It could be wood, or stone, or any other item that lets us see true nature.

Here I must pause; I have other work that requires my attention...

No comments:

Post a Comment