a way to see the world

The project, which has been presented to us by Professor Luis E. Carranza Phd., Roger Williams University, is an architectural investigation. This is an investigation into making people, rather, us think of our surroundings. An architecture which wakes us from our blase attitude to force us to realise we have been asleep. Only on the rare occasion do we recall how it is we came to be in the very room we now sit. This is an attempt to wake a campus from such a slumber.

This investigation begins with art in the form of a Juan Gris painting.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Wax and Wire

How do we make a drawing without paper? Given this short assignment I have embraced it in hopes of releasing my slight frustration with my current design and taking a break in hopes of discovering something new about my design I had not yet seen. We were to recreate one or two of our drawings without using paper. In the case of the wire, the wire becomes the line and begins to hint at the paper-space. While the wax (we could have used plaster or concrete) was to arrive at a drawing in a release...


So the image on the top is a close up of what is going on in the center of the design. I used the wire to frame my entry sequence(s) and the important forms within my building. Before doing this exercise I had thought about mimicking the undulating plates on the inside and bring those out into these entry spaces. On completing this wire "drawing" I feel I am going to do what it was I had planned but in a much more subtle way. The entry spaces have a great feeling of simplicity, then you walk through the door and the whole world changes to detail and compression. Simply done I feel this could be a great expression.

Wax:


So this obviously didn't work...



This, however, did!

One of the things I wanted for my design was to use light in some way to enhance the design. The concept, admittedly was more for the experience out side and having to do with the march of time through the day and into the night, and if my "eggs" were lit up at night the viewer would, then, have a much different experience at night than at noon. After this exercise with the bee's wax I realized light was really something to experience in all the important spaces, inside and out. This exercise has helped me reconceptualize the interior walls as not only circulation and archival space but the element that generates the visceral experience. Now I have to build a section model at a larger scale of the archive walls.

1 comment:

  1. I really like the final wire dwg. it's really nice. the form of te wax one hopefully will influence the final dwgs. how is it going now?

    ReplyDelete